Panasonic has released firmware updates for its LUMIX S series cameras as well as the ultra-compact G100. Updates for the S1H (2.2), S1R (1.6), S1 (1.6) and S5 (2.0) will be available free of charge from 24 November 2020 and will bring improved autofocus features; the same day's release of FW 1.1 for the DC-G100 will bring compatibility with LUMIX Webcam Software (in beta).
Enhanced autofocus features for the LUMIX S series
Lumix S1, S1R and S1H will gain advanced autofocus technology and performance from the new LUMIX S5. The AF update includes improved person and motion detection technology. In addition to the eye, face and body, the head is now separately identified and tracked in real time. The camera tracks a person even when they move quickly, turn their head, turn their body and tilt their head, even at a great distance from the camera. Innovative DFD technology has refined the continuous autofocus (AFC) system to better track small or fast-moving subjects. All AF enhancements are available in both shooting and movie modes.
Updates also include:
- People/animal recognition is available in [1-Area] and [1-Area+] AF modes
- [AF + MF] mode can be used during movie recording
- AF-Recognition function during V-Log recording has been improved (S1H / S1 / S5)
- [SS/Gain Operation] function has been added for S1R, S1 and S5 models
- Recording indicator [Red REC Frame Indicator] has been added to S1R and S1
- Vertical video playback has been added for S1H, S1R and S1
- 4K quality videos can now be sent to a smartphone via Wi-Fi (S1H / S1R / S1)
- S1H and S5 displays can now display a flipped image when the LCD is rotated and the [Horizontal Image Flip (Monitor)] / [Vertical Image Flip (Monitor)] function is activated
- 5K quality video recording has been added to S1R.
- 10-bit HDR video recording [Like 2100 / HLG] has been added to S1R
- Added high-resolution audio recording and settings for DMW-XLR1 adapter to S1R
- Luminance Level function in S1R now supports 10-bit video recording
- Added 10-bit video output at 60/50 fps in 4K quality at 4:2:2 aspect ratio via HDMI to S1R
- C4K quality video recording (4096x2160) has been added to the S5
- The S5 has been enhanced with 12-bit RAW [5.9K]/[4K]/[Anamorphic (4:3) 3.5K] data output. Apple ProRes RAW format recording is also possible with the Atomos NINJA V (S5)
- A vectorscope has been added to S5
- Master Pedestal Level reference added to S5
- The S5 has been expanded with the addition of Photo Style options [L.ClassicNeo] and [L.Monochrome S]
Next update for LUMIX DC-S1 in the first half of 2021
With the planned FW 2.0 update for LUMIX S1, the user will be able to manually adjust Dual Native ISO values. Further expansion of functions is subject to the purchase of DMW-SFU2. New features will include anamorphic recording mode, time code insertion and V-Log recording. The upgrade will unlock the ability to record in 5.9K/C4K quality and internal 10-bit 4K 60/50p video recording with 4:2:2 color sampling. Another enhancement will be the ability to record video using the Atomos Ninja V monitor/recorder in 5.9K/4K/Anamorphic (4:3) 3.5K 12-bit RAW over HDMI.
Battery compatibility between LUMIX GH5/GH5S and G9
The LUMIX GH5 / GH5S / G9 are now compatible with the new DMW-BLK22 battery type (launched together with the DC-S5). Compatibility with the original DMW-BLF19 battery that was supplied with the above models remains, of course.
DC-G100/G110 FW 1.1
With the free FW update to version 1.1, the DC-G100/G110 gains compatibility with LUMIX Webcam Software (beta).